Technique is everything. When you know the proper way to do something you can know with certainty that you are making a positive impact with whatever it is you happen to be doing. There is nothing worse than thinking you have been doing something correctly for a long time only to find out that not only were you doing it wrong, but that the way you were doing it was causing a lot more harm and will make it that much harder to correct.
When it comes to brushing your teeth, there is a specific way to do it for it to be the most effective. Some may believe that a lot of toothpaste, on a hard bristled brush combined with hard, aggressive strokes will offer the best cleaning. This is the furthest thing from the truth and if this is how you currently brush your teeth you may want to consider how you do things. Here are some important tips to improve your daily brushing in order to facilitate a healthier smile.
– Use a smear of toothpaste and avoid brushing too hard.
– If you tickle your gums you’ve got the pressure about right.
– Hold your brush at 45 degree angle to your gum line.
– Brush gently with a circular, vertical motion.
– Brush systematically, working from one corner to the other, taking care to clean every surface.
– Work on the outer surfaces first, then the chewing surfaces and finally clean your tongue.
– Don’t rinse – just spit out what’s left in your mouth. That way the fluoride stays in your mouth longer and keeps everything clean.
If you carefully follow these steps and pair it with regular visits for check-ups and cleanings at your Ottawa dentist, you will have the healthiest and brightest smile possible.